Cloud/Big Data Solution Architect
Research & Development — Ottawa, ON
At March Networks, our goal is to create a positive working environment where all of our employees can thrive. When you join our team, you’ll enjoy flexibility and support for a healthy work-life balance, as well as the professional development opportunities needed to advance your career. You’ll be part of a growing global technology company that encourages teamwork and innovation, and where friendships are forged with colleagues all over the world. Our employees enjoy a comprehensive Total Rewards Package including attractive time-off policies and an annual bonus plan. At March Networks, we value your hard work, creativity and your passionate desire to deliver only the best to our customers, partners and each other.
This is the first project of this kind, and to start, we’ve wiped the slate clean to limit dependency on legacy products, outdated structures and outdated technologies.
We are looking to create a small agile team of technology leaders that will grow a team with a startup feel. We want those that have a collaborative mindset and a deep curiosity to see how things work under the hood. We want those that are both self-directed and act as leaders and mentors for the growing team.
If you get your thrills from pushing boundaries, challenging the status quo, and working with the latest technologies and then come join us ‘in the labs’… we’d love to hear from you.
- Experience architecting both cloud-based and hybrid solutions
- Experience working on long-term enterprise projects
- The ability to engage with the team to design and develop best-in-class features.
- Demonstrated ability and flexibility to manage time and priorities effectively
- Demonstrated experience interfacing with clients in extracting use cases and deriving requirements
- The ability to define system and architecture and/or write customer product specifications
- Strong leadership skills and comfort mentoring team members. You will need to share well developed product knowledge with peers, internal customers and new entrants into the department.
- The ability to recommend innovative solutions with a total system view and adds to the patent portfolio
- Knowledge of database architecture and operation
- Knowledge of Continuous Integration and DevOps
- The desire to innovate as you research new technologies and resolve complex problems
- The ability to construct and contribute to major projects at a high level design strategy
- Excellent written and oral communication skills – effective in promoting your own ideas and influencing positive outcomes
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science or Engineering program, or equivalent
- 8+ years professional experience in the related domain
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in architecting and managing Big Data environments – cloud experience is essential
- Cloud frameworks (AWS, Google Cloud, Azure, OpenStack, others…)
- Proven knowledge of Relational, Nonrelational and in memory databases such as MongoDB, Graffiti, Amazon Aurora, DynamoDB, ElastiCache, ElasticSearch, MySQL, Cassandra and Redis
- Proven knowledge of Data Warehouse solutions such as RedShift, MSSQL, SAS and Snowflake
- IOT frameworks (Eclipse Kura, Node-RED, others…)
- Container technologies (Docker, Kubernetes, others…)
- Proven knowledge of data stream processing solutions such as Kafka, Spark Streaming, NiFi and Storm
- Experience in an Agile software development environment (SCRUM)
- Knowledge of formal design patterns and languages such as SOA, MOA, UML, and Rational Rose.
- Passionate about technologies. Independent and willing to take initiative.
- Proven 10xer problem solver
- Object-oriented design and design patterns
- One of: Java, C++, C#
- One of: SOAP / REST / GraphQL
- Networking and TCP/IP, UDP, HTTP protocols
- Securing Big Data deployments with concepts such as encryption at rest and encryption in transit. Experience with S3 client and server side encryption is a strong asset
- Scripting and knowledge of deployment automation and configuration management along with experience working with tools such as Chef, Puppet, Ansible and Salt are strong assets
- Software architectures for performance, scalability and high availability
- Networking, systems and development concepts as it pertains to Big Data solutions
- Presenting solutions to Clients and software teams at various stages
March Networks is an equal opportunity employer and supports a diverse workforce
Note: Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process. Applicants can make their accommodation needs known to us in their cover letter.