Senior Writer – 1-Year Term Contract
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posted on: March 12, 2021
At March Networks, our goal is to create a positive working environment where all of our employees can thrive. When you join our team, you’ll enjoy flexibility and support for a healthy work-life balance, as well as the professional development opportunities needed to advance your career. You’ll be part of a growing global technology company that encourages teamwork and innovation, and where friendships are forged with colleagues all over the world. Our employees enjoy a comprehensive Total Rewards Package including attractive time-off policies and an annual bonus plan. At March Networks, we value your hard work, creativity and your passionate desire to deliver only the best to our customers, partners and each other.
Reporting to the Global Leader of Marketing, the Senior Writer will be responsible for providing high level communications support on multiple activities focused on increasing awareness, consideration and preference for March Networks across its core markets and geographies.
The successful candidate will be a seasoned writer with a meticulous eye for detail and a flare for creative storytelling. Applicants should have ample hands-on experience doing research, conducting interviews and writing about technology in a B2B environment.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Senior Writer plays a vital role in driving demand for March Networks solutions. He/she will be the in-house creative messaging expert, providing editorial support across the marketing department.
Specifically, this role is responsible for:
- Acting as the editorial lead on a website redesign project, including overseeing all copy decks. As the editorial lead, you will also work closely with a creative agency, web designers and web developers to ensure quality, accuracy and consistency of messaging across the board
- Writing blogs, case studies, press releases, contributed articles, whitepapers, email communications, video scripts and other sales tools in support of integrated marketing programs for channel partners and end user customers
- Crafting accurate, compelling marketing messaging, positioning March Networks to target audiences. Requires the ability to translate complex, technical information into plain language
- Researching technology and topics relevant to March Networks’ partners and customers
- Conducting interviews (with both internal and external stakeholders) in support of editorial development
- Working closely with sales and product management to understand customer/partner needs and personas and writing content for all stages of the buying cycle
- Developing and enforcing copy standards across the marketing department
- Maintaining an archive of accurate and compelling product descriptions across all segments of the product line
- Copy editing and peer reviewing editorial content for accuracy, style and message
Who You Are:
- You are a self-starter – You are highly organized and passionate about the power of the written word.
- You have a curious mind – You are not afraid to ask questions, dig deeper into new technology or suggest a new approach. You demonstrate the ability to think strategically and creatively about our business and you want to get inside the head of our customers to understand what motivates them.
- You’re meticulous – You demand clean copy from yourself and take the time to get it right. You double and triple check facts, proper spelling and grammar, and “detail-orientated” is your middle name.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Degree or Diploma in Journalism with a strong portfolio of published content
- 7+ years of writing, editing and communications experience, ideally in the high technology sector for a B2B employer
- Superior writing and editing skills are essential. Previous working experience as a journalist or editor is desired
- Excellent grammar, spelling and proofreading skills
- Experience writing copy for the web
- Experience writing video scripts and providing creative direction for marketing videos
- Experience using content management systems (WordPress preferred)
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite
- Excellent verbal communication skills in order to properly convey ideas
- Experience working with agencies and managing external suppliers
- Strong project management skills including the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
March Networks is an equal opportunity employer and supports a diverse workforce.
Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Applicants can make their accommodation needs known to us in their application.