Vice President, Research & Development (R&D)
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posted on: March 31, 2022
March Networks is an established global leader in the video surveillance industry and works with the world’s largest retailers and banking institutions. Our goal is to create a positive working environment where all of our employees can thrive. When you join our team, you will enjoy flexibility and support for a healthy work-life balance, as well as the professional development opportunities needed to advance your career. You will be part of a growing global technology company that encourages teamwork and innovation, and where friendships are forged with colleagues all over the world. Our employees enjoy a comprehensive Total Rewards Package including attractive time-off policies and an annual bonus plan. At March Networks, we value your hard work, creativity and your passionate desire to deliver only the best to our customers, partners and each other.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the Vice President of Research & Development (R&D) is responsible for leading a team of hardware and software developers and all product development initiatives around the world for March Networks which include development centers in Ottawa, Ontario and Milan, Italy and contractors in different regions. March Networks is currently in the process of reshaping the rapidly growing $20 Billion video surveillance industry by incorporating computer vision and advanced data analytics into its surveillance solutions to help our customers gain valuable insight into the their day to day operations. We are looking for a dynamic leader with good communication skills, thrives under pressure and has the the ability to motivate employees and drive performance. The ideal candidate has a track record of delivering projects on time and on budget and has worked in an Agile environment. Applicants must have prior R&D leadership experience and have a played a key role in the development of cloud-based data analytic platforms.
Directed by the corporate business plan the Vice President, R&D leads all product development initiatives that have significant impact on the Company’s strategic objectives, P&L and future relationships with customers, partners and employees.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Translates overall corporate strategic direction into a mission, strategy and plan for the R&D team
- Participates as an engaged, open and committed member of the Senior Management Team and contributes to the overall company roadmap and product strategy
- Contributes to and supports final Senior Management Team initiatives and strategies with 100% solidarity
- Develops effective, efficient, fiscal and customer-focused Product Development plans and processes
- Creates and sustains a viable organizational structure that optimizes talent, technology and systems
- Communicates product and corporate strategy to the R&D team to ensure all members understand the roadmap
- Ensures product development milestones are met on time, with high quality and within the established cost objectives·
- Accountable for making financial or budget commitments as set by the CEO
- Fosters a culture of team spirit and innovation into the long and short-term operations of the organization
- Establishes an excellent rapport with Sales, Marketing and Product Development to ensure market opportunities are captured and has the right processes in place to react to short term opportunities
- Results-oriented individual driven to ensure that the products meet customers’ requirements and has a continued focus on product performance in the field
- Manages and integrates development partnerships and off-shore relationships
Education and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, computer science or related field
- Track record of driving and delivering projects on time and on budget, holding individuals and teams accountable for their delivery in a manner that is positive and encouraging
- Ability to align and motivate high-energy teams into customer-focused design and development
- Experience delivering commercial software and hardware products as part of a management team
- Solid leadership skills emphasizing goal definition, strategic thinking, organizational development, team motivation, performance management, conflict resolution and clear decision-making
- Skilled at resource planning and project estimations
- Excellent knowledge of industry standard methodologies including Agile tools and processes for software development, test and documentation
- Project and financial management skills and experience
- Ability to motivate teams and team members, balancing the need to be professional, business like, and profitable whilst creating an environment where people enjoy coming to work
- Effective at recruiting and retaining critical people
- Outstanding communication, presentation and interpersonal skills
- Passionate about the work with a strong desire to learn, grow and make a difference
- Management of large and complex software development programs, software service models and web applications.
- Background in cloud development, data analytics, and/or artificial intelligence a plus.
- Experience managing multi-site development centers.
- Track record of delivering projects on time and on budget
- At least 12 years of relevant industry experience, and at least 7 years of management experience
- Experience managing groups of > 80 including direct and indirect reports
March Networks is an equal opportunity employer and supports a diverse workforce.
Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Applicants can make their accommodation needs known to us in their cover letter.